Do minor imperfections or discolorations make you feel insecure about your teeth? If so, dental bonding may be the right treatment for you. Dental bonding is just one of the many restorative procedures offered by Corpus Christi cosmetic dentists Charles A. Robertson and N. Perry Orchard. Read on to learn how a flawless, white smile can be yours with dental bonding treatment.
What Is Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding is a restorative treatment designed to improve the aesthetics and strength of the teeth. Dental bonding is used to correct mild imperfections by hiding them behind a hardened tooth-colored resin. This resin begins as a putty-like substance. The malleable resin is applied to the front surface of the tooth and shaped to the proper size and appearance. A laser or ultra violet light is applied to the resin to harden, or cure, it. Once cured, the resin is further shaped and polished to create an aesthetically pleasing tooth. The whole bonding process can be completed in as little as one dental visit, taking anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour per tooth.
What Conditions Can Dental Bonding Repair?
Dental bonding is a great option for both dramatically and quickly improving the aesthetics of your teeth. Some of the conditions repaired with dental bonding treatment include:
- Discolored Teeth: Stained, yellowed, or otherwise discolored teeth can be instantly whitened with dental bonding. Some teeth are so severely discolored that even professional teeth whitening is unable to achieve the desired results. Dental bonding offers a great solution in such cases. The resin used in dental bonding is customized to the desired shade, so even the most discolored teeth can be restored to a bright white.
- Minor Fractures: Small fractures can be repaired with dental bonding. Dental bonding adds strength to teeth weakened by covering small fractures keeping them from expanding.
- Minor Chips: Dental bonding can be used to repair minor chips and to restore the structure of the tooth.
- Decay and Cavities: Dental bonding can be used to treat cavities and decay. Dental bonding makes for a better cosmetic choice in cavity treatment over metal fillings.
- Misshaped or Small Teeth: Dental bonding can be used to correct the shape and size of the teeth. With dental bonding, you can have a uniform, proportionate smile.
- Gaps Between Teeth: Dental bonding can be used to close gaps between teeth. You can have instant, pain-free results versus the traditional approach using orthodontics.
What Are Some Alternatives to Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding is not the right treatment for everyone. Candidates for dental bonding should have overall healthy teeth. Fortunately, there are other options available to treat more severe conditions. For our patients in Corpus Christi, porcelain veneers or dental crowns have been successful alternatives to dental bonding treatment. Veneers utilize a thin, porcelain shell to mask imperfections. Porcelain veneers are a better option for patients requiring more extensive treatment. Dental crowns are another alternative to dental treatment and restoration. Porcelain crowns are used to completely cover a damaged tooth, whether broken or severely decayed. Crowns restore the strength and appearance of damaged teeth.
Improve Your Smile Today.
We offer many treatment options to improve the look and health of your smile. Contact our offices today to determine which treatment is right for you!