Traditional removable dentures have long been the treatment of choice for replacing all or most of the teeth in the upper or lower jaws. Though removable dentures are useful for restoring the appearance and function of the teeth, they have many downsides. A common complaint of patients that wear removable dentures is the appliances are prone to slipping and moving while you eat and speak. Corpus Christi cosmetic dentists Charles A. Robertson and N. Perry Orchard offer implant-supported dentures for a secure fit so you can wear your dentures with confidence and comfort.
What Are Implant-Supported Dentures?
Implant-supported dentures are dental restorations that use surgically placed dental implants to anchor custom-made dentures within the mouth. Dental implants are titanium posts placed within the jaw bone. For our patients in Corpus Christi, dental implants can also be used to replace individual teeth with crown restorations or implant-supported bridges. The treatment process for implant-supported dentures begins with a thorough dental examination to determine if you're a candidate for dental implants. X-rays are taken to determine if sufficient jaw bone exists. The bone begins to disintegrate once teeth are lost, making it important that patients seek tooth replacement treatment immediately. If there is not sufficient bone to support the dental implant, a bone graft can be performed to rebuild the missing bone for implant placement.
With implant-supported dentures, three to five dental implants will be placed. The bone is allowed to heal, which may take six weeks or longer. As the bone heals around the implants, a secure bond is formed; this is key to the secure fit of implant-supported dentures. Once fully healed, a new set of custom-made dentures will be prepared with either a thin metal bar or stud-attachment for securing to the dental implants.
The Benefits of Implant-Supported Dentures over Removable Dentures
Many patients with missing teeth are choosing implant-supported dentures due to the many benefits they offer over removable dentures. Here are just a few of the many benefits offered by implant-supported dentures.
- Secure fit: Removable dentures are prone to moving and shifting, whereas implant-supported dentures will not move around during your daily activities.
- Comfort: Implant-supported dentures offer a level of comfort unobtainable with removable dentures. Removable dentures slip and slide, which can irritate the gums. Implant-supported dentures stay in place so your gums won't be irritated.
- Confidence: With implant-supported dentures, there is no risk of your dentures slipping out of place so you can be confident when you eat and speak.
- Feels more natural: Implant-supported dentures don't move while you eat and talk like removable dentures often do. Implant-supported dentures feel so natural, many implant-supported dentures wearers forget they are even wearing dentures.
- Easier to eat: Because implant-supported dentures are securely anchored within the mouth, you can eat with ease and without worry. Even with adhesives, there are many foods removable denture wearers are unable to eat. Implant-supported dentures let you enjoy the foods you've been missing.
- Improved speech: Removable dentures sometimes cause wearers to slur their speech and can make speaking difficult. Implant-supported dentures stay in place so you can speak with confidence.
- No messy adhesives: With implant-supported dentures you can say “goodbye” to messy adhesives, which can make cleaning removable dentures difficult.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Don't wait to regain your smile and confidence. Contact our offices today to schedule a consultation!