Are Dental Implants Right for Me?
As one of the most revolutionary dental procedures offered at Robertson and Orchard, DDS, in Corpus Christi, dental implants can give patients a renewed confidence in their smile. For proper candidates, dental implants can restore the natural look and feel of the smile.
Dental implants are titanium screws that are surgically placed in a patient’s jawbone; they function as the teeth’s natural roots would. Dental implants help patients regain a security and sense of stability in their prosthesis teeth that was previously unattainable. Dental implants can support dentures, crowns, and bridges.
Dental implants provide unmatched results in stability and usability once they are healed. After an intensive consultation, the titanium implants are surgically placed in a patient’s jaw, often in the empty socket left by the missing tooth or teeth. Dental implants can be placed in a patient’s upper or lower jaw, dependent upon his or her needs.
After a patient’s dental implant surgery, there is a waiting period during which the jaw must heal. Gum tissue and bone will naturally grow around the posts as they would with a normal tooth root.
Once a patient’s jaw and gums have fully healed, dental implants are used to support whichever restorative prosthetic the patient and our Corpus Christi cosmetic dentists have decided upon. These prostheses can be removable (as in the case of dentures) or permanently attached (as in crowns and bridges) to the implant.
Who Is a Candidate?
Suitable candidates for dental implants include patients who:
- Have at least a moderate amount of jawbone available to support the titanium posts. In some cases, patients with weakened jawbones may be able to receive bone grafts, which after a healing period can strengthen the jaw enough to support implants.
- Are fully committed to the procedure. Dental implants are permanent and require a time commitment due to to the lengthy healing process. As such, it is important that patients be confident in their decision to undergo treatment. Prior to treatment, patients should research all possible tooth replacement options so they can make an informed decision about treatment.
- Want more stability in a prosthesis dental piece. Dental-implant-supported dentures, for example, are much more stable than removable dentures, and eliminate the need for messy pastes or adhesive strips.
- Would like a natural look. The prostheses can fit flush against the gum line, making artificial teeth indistinguishable from natural teeth.
- Have a sunken appearance in their cheeks or generally shrunken jaw line. Desire improved support to the jaw and renewed structure to the look of the face.
- Are able to maintain a regular dental hygiene regimen. Like any dental procedure, it is important that dental implant recipients brush, floss, rinse and continue regular visits to the dentist.
As in any dental surgery or procedure, it is important for patients to discuss their specific needs and goals regarding restorative dentistry with their dentists. For more information on dental implant candidates, please contact us at our Corpus Christi dentistry office today for more information and a complimentary consultation.